Sunday, March 13, 2011

FRANCO FUN

Since his painfully disappointing turn as Oscar host, James Franco has not been on my list of favorite people. But as of yesterday, he is officially redeemed.

The teaming of visionary, genre-bending director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire and 28 Days Later) and Mr. Franco was a match made in heaven. I have watched 127 Hours twice in the last two days, and I am still reeling. It recounts the true story of Aron Ralston, rock climber and thrill seeker, who was trapped at the bottom of a rocky crevasse for over five days before freeing himself. It is a powerful and moving tale of the triumph of the human spirit and a brilliant bit of filmmaking, and Franco was completely invested from the first frame to the last.

See it and tell me what you think, but I will warn you - there are three or four minutes near the end of the film that are among the most visceral and graphic I have ever seen. This segment was essential but challenging. And even though I was physically uncomfortable, it was worth it.

1 comment:

Deborah Smith said...

Well, I guess know what I'll be watching. Thanks for the review Ed, sounds like my kind of movie.